Whether it’s the pain of slow and unstable connectivity, not being able to record on your security gadgets as fast, or not being able to stream videos on your phone while sitting by the pool, we can all relate to outdoor Wi-Fi connectivity struggles. Solutions such as setting up the modem or an external router near the exit and entry points of your home, like near windows and doors don’t necessarily help every time. Especially not if you have a considerably large outdoor area with varying entertainment options.
Luckily, we are living in an era of technological advancements and one of the recent innovations is wireless access points that detect Wi-Fi frequencies from your Wi-Fi router and further extends it around the area it is installed in. Sounds great, right? Well, it indeed is! Even though it is an additional purchase to be made on top of the already installed internet modem and router that you have, it is however a valuable one. Nonetheless, it is a relief to be able to connect your Wi-Fi connection to the outdoor experience of your house.
So, what are some of the best options out there? Let’s get into those.
Best Wi-Fi Extenders
1. Linksys Velop Mesh
Linksys has introduced a few options and one of their latest – Linksys Velop Outdoor Mesh – is gaining popularity for many reasons. The device is being appreciated for its capacity of area coverage, the convenience of installation, automated feature for updates, and the easy installation via the usage of the app which comes with the package.
Valued at approximately $399.99 the Linksys Velop Mesh is one of the best options available in the market today with reviews that guarantee the claimed quality. The device can handle up to 50 devices connected simultaneously and working seamlessly.
2. Netgear Orbi
Anyone that’s been on the lookout for an outdoor mesh must have come across this one! Customers are raving about the device and the hype is real too. But is the hype worth the cost? We will let you decide.
For prices that start at $329, this one comes in a pair with a preset router and a satellite device that connects the indoor with the outdoor in terms of Wi-Fi connectivity. It delivers spectacular connection, excellent speed, and also provides coverage to an area of up to 5000 sq. ft.
3. Google Nest Wi-Fi Router & Point
Comparatively cheaper than the other two options above, the Nest Router & Point retail for $269 together. Combined, the two devices can connect up to 200 devices and provide coverage to an area of around 3800 square feet. That’s perfect for when you want to throw a pool party or a barbeque in your backyard –guests can easily connect to your Wi-Fi without causing any traffic onto the network.
Not only that, but these devices come with additional features like parental controls – that allow you to restrict access to some devices or certain content on certain devices. With that, these devices regularly update themselves to keep your network protected from any sort of virus or malware.
Factors to Consider When Choosing the Right Extender for Outdoor Connectivity
So, what must one look for when choosing a wireless access point or a wireless repeater? Not all of us are tech geeks who understand the under layers of technological advancements. So, what is better than following common sense, and sticking to the primary tech rules when choosing a suitable device for your outdoor area? Here are some things to consider when choosing the right device to install for your home.
- Some Wi-Fi extenders and routers might require you to drill holes onto walls, or set up outdoor wiring to connect the device with. This may raise questions in cases where people live in rented homes and if the rent agreement has anything in particular pertaining to minor work around the premises.
- A weather-resistant device is a better option, even if it demands a comparatively higher price. It will be more durable should you have to place your extender or router in the outdoor area of your home – even if it’s just the patio that is covered. Dust and rain or even dew drops can be problematic for any electronic outdoors that isn’t weather-resistant.
- Place it away from an area where birds frequent. You don’t want them messing with the wiring, or the device itself.
- Check the parameters of the respective wireless connector against the outdoor parameters of your house.
- The making of some of these devices is categorized between enterprise-grade and consumer-grade. In simpler terms, the former does not take into account durability against weather conditions, and the latter does.
Wouldn’t it be great to have Wi-Fi connectivity in the outdoors of your home? You could easily do all the pool parties, barbeques, camping nights in your yard that you’ve wanted to, and it even just makes life easier otherwise. You could be gardening and take an audio call over the Wi-Fi easily! Similarly, any smart devices installed on the outside of your home would also receive full signals. You can find these Wi-Fi extenders and many other routers on www.firstenergyhome.com. Head on over to their site and check out the catalog.